Clonmore too Strong For Port Mór

An Port Mór 0-9 Clonmore 1-10

A wet and blustery O’Neill Park, An Port Mór was the setting Port Mór faced Clonmore in what was ‘The Friendly Derby.’ Port Mór’s starting line up was minus four starters from their championship outing against Tullysaran but Gary Traynor was back in the starting line-up.

The visitors adapted to the horrendous conditions better and built an early three point lead. That lead could have been more as the visitors shooting was poor. Port Mór’s attacks were sporadic and although opportunities were created the home side looked rusty, not having played in four weeks.

Port Mór’s opening score came from the boot of Ryan Goran who fired over a forty-five, minutes later veteran Gary Traynor hit a long range point that hit the post and dropped over the bar. Port Mór’s form was improving and although Clonmore pointed again Port Mor finished the half with points from Cormac Kieran and Shane Nugent.

Half Time An Port Mór 0-4 Clonmore 0-4

The large Port Mór contingent; at O’Neill park and watching at home; may have thought the interval came at a bad time for the homesteaders. Port Mór cam firing out of the blocks in the second half and three Shane Nugent score; one from fist, one from a free and one from play; gave Port Mór a three point lead.

Clonmore responded with a goal bound effort that was brilliantly saved and tipped over the bar by Gary McCrilly. Two points was now the deficit but with a man sin binned Clonmore were down to fourteen men. Port Mór couldn’t capitalise, indeed it was the fourteen men that created another goal chance. This time the ball was blocked on the line by a Port Mór foot and a penalty was awarded. McCrilly got close but couldn’t keep the ball out of the net. Clonmore led by one at the second water break. Port Mór had Seamus Hughes black carded and now both teams were down to fourteen men.

The visitors looked the fitter and stronger side in the last quarter, and boosted by the penalty finished the game strongly. Another point from play straight after the break was quickly cancelled out by a Cormac Kieran free but late points edged Clonmore four points ahead. Gary Traynor did have a shot on goal but it was flicked over the bar. The deficit now three and the game in injury time, there was time for one more attack. Unfortunately for Port Mór Clonmore won the kick out and managed to kick the final score of the game.

Final Score An Port Mór 0-9 Clonmore 1-10

Next up for Port Mór is a tough away trip to Wolfe Tones.

Team and scorers : Gary McCrilly, Ross Gribben, Brendan Nugent, Seamus Hughes, Matthew Walsh, Oliver Webb, Peter Nixon, Vance Doherty, Gary Traynor (0-2), Dara McKenna, Oisin Campbell, Ryan Gorman (0-1), Shane Nugent (0-4), Cormac Kieran (0-2), Jack McQuade.

Subs used Ryan McDonagh

Featured Posts